Prep Time: 20 minutes
Chill Time: 2 hours, total
Yield: 1 pie
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cold water
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sugar or substitute
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) Crown Lily White Corn Syrup
- 2 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 2 cups (500 mL) nondairy whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (23cm/9-inch) graham cracker crust
Pour lemon juice and water into a small saucepan. Sprinkle gelatin over juice mixture; let set 5 minutes. Add sugar; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in lemon peel, corn syrup, and food coloring, if desired.
Chill until slightly thickened, about 45 minutes, or until consistency of pudding, stirring occasionally. Fold whipped topping into gelatin mixture. Pour into pie crust. Chill until served.
POMEGRANATE CHIFFON PIE: Replace lemon juice and water with 1cup (250 mL) pomegranate juice. Omit food colouring.
ORANGE CHIFFON PIE: Replace lemon juice and water with 1 cup (250 mL) orange juice. Replace lemon peel with orange peel. Add 1 drop red food coloring, if desired.