(NC)—A star is born. Your family will love this hearty salad with its traditional French ingredients of frisée and haricots verts, dressed with Newman's Own all-natural balsamic vinaigrette. Like all of Paul Newman's classics, this movie-themed salad combines great taste and a compelling story: all the royalties and profits from the sale of his food products are donated to charity via the Newman's Own Foundation. To date, Paul Newman and Newman's Own Foundation have donated more than $265 million to charities in the U.S., Canada and around the world.
A New Kind of Love…for Salad
Makes 4 servings
- 8 oz (250 g) frisée (French curly endive)
- 6 oz (175 g) thick-cut bacon slices
- 16 haricots verts (green beans)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) distilled white vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped shallots
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Salt and pepper
- Tear frisée into bite-size pieces and put in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Cut bacon slices crosswise into 1/4 inch (5 mm) thick sticks (lardons). In a heavy skillet cook bacon over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden; remove skillet from heat, leaving bacon in skillet.
- Bring salted water to a boil. Add haricots verts and cook for 3 minutes or until fully cooked. Drain. Plunge into bowl of ice water to cool down. Drain well and pat dry.
- Have ready another skillet with 1 inch (2.5 cm) warm water and set aside. Half-fill a 4-quart saucepan with water and stir in white vinegar. Bring liquid to a bare simmer. Break each egg into a teacup. Slide 1 egg into simmering liquid and immediately push white around yolk with a slotted spoon, moving egg gently. Egg will become oval, with yolk completely covered by white. Add remaining 3 eggs in same manner. Simmer eggs about 5 minutes for runny yolks to about 7 minutes for firmer yolks. Immediately transfer eggs to skillet of warm water.
- Reheat bacon in its skillet over moderate heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette and boil 5 seconds. Immediately pour hot dressing over frisée and toss with salt and pepper to taste. Divide salad among four plates and top with drained poached eggs and haricots verts. Season eggs with salt and pepper and serve salad immediately.